[FLASH-USERS] flmake and python 3.x

Slavin, Jonathan jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 29 16:39:23 EDT 2018

Hi Scott,

That's great to hear that you're still interested in flmake. I have made
progress, though I'm not quite there yet.  There are some really old python
idioms in there.  I've had to fix some uses of the string module (as
opposed to string methods). I also replaced an __import__ statement with
the import_module function from importlibs.  Also UserDict.UserDict has to
be replaced with collections.UserDict. The latest thing that I ran into is
the use of <> as not equal to in Flash Config files.  Python 2.7 apparently
can interpret that correctly as != but not python 3.6. I feel like I'm
getting close though.

Jon

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 3:55 PM, Scott Feister <sfeister at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> I have been intermittently using flmake as well, for the same reasons.
> Just a note to other users, this code hasn't been supported for a while
> (the person who wrote it left), and doesn't in all cases correctly perform
> the "setup" step (it uses a different setup script). However, I'd also be
> interested in a port of the current flmake version to python3. If you send
> me the progress you've made so far (feister at flash.uchicago.edu), I will
> gladly take a look.
>
> Best,
>
> Scott
>

> Scott Feister, Ph.D.
> Postdoctoral Researcher, Flash Center for Computational Science
> University of Chicago, Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics
>
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 8:24 AM, Slavin, Jonathan <jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I know that flmake is not supported anymore. I started using it before I
>> knew that and have found it so useful that I still use it, though I expect
>> that not many do. In any case, I'd like to continue to use it at least for
>> now.  The problem I'm running into is that I'm switching from python 2.7 to
>> python 3.6 and flmake is not compatible with python 3. I've run 2to3 on the
>> routines under tools/python and made some additional changes recommended,
>> but it still doesn't work.  So my question is: has anyone successfully
>> ported flmake to python 3.x?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jon

Jonathan D. Slavin                 Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu       60 Garden Street, MS 83
phone: (617) 496-7981       Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
cell: (781) 363-0035             USA