[FLASH-USERS] “h ” varable in Ionize unit

Gao-Yuan Zhang gao-yuan.zhang at cfa.harvard.edu
Sat Mar 10 16:20:21 EST 2018

Hi all,

I’m using the Ionize unit in a 2D Sedov simulation with FLASH4.3. From the log file, the variable “h   “ is fully ionized with “positive" number of 1 and “negative” 0. In the ionizing file “nei.F90” (line 86--87) under “source/physics/sourceTerms/Ionize/IonizeMain/Nei”, hydrogen and electron mass fraction remain unchanged. But the phase plot shows that they are changing with temperature (or density):

I have tested that other element (Oxygen) changes little with temperature, and doesn’t have a consistence with “h   “ or “elec”.

I think there are two possibilities:
1. “h   “ and “elec” are not normalised after a MHD process (advection)
2. “h   “ is not fully ionized  hydrogen

Do you know where is the problem with the mass fraction?

Another relating question is that in log file,  the “total” number (atomic mass) for “h   " is 0.904 which is strange to me. And in “Simulation_initSpecies.F90” under "source/Simulation/SimulationComposition/Ionize/“, the “h   “ atomic mass is set to “ave_hmass” that changes if not all the elements are selected. They are different with each other, but seems to be stored both in “ms_Array”. Do you know what’s the meaning for the “ave_hmass” and which value is used in the simulation?

Thanks,
Gao-Yuan

Gao-Yuan ZHANG
B-306A, 60 Garden St., Cambridge, MA 02138
Tel: +1 617-460-2489; Skype: zgy0106
Email: zgy0106 at gmail.com
Email: gao-yuan.zhang at cfa.harvard.edu