[FLASH-USERS] Timer runs out of space

Joshua Wall joshua.e.wall at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 15:03:45 EDT 2018

Hello Ryan and Klaus,

    Ryan, yes I am running in AMR. Per Klaus's recommendation I just did:

josh at iris2:~/flash/src/flash4.2.2-rad/object$ grep -iIn "call Timers" * >
timers_grep.txt

Which will give me a list of calls to Timers_start and Timers_stop in one
text file. After I check this file to ensure that all have pairs, I'll have
to check each FLASH file for "if () then" and "#ifdef" statements that
might have isolated one of the timer calls. Feel free to also do this as a
check in case I miss anything. Whoever finds it first can post what we find
here (or if we don't find anything).

Cordially,

Josh

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 2:54 PM Ryan Farber <rjfarber at umich.edu> wrote:

> Hi Josh/Klaus,
>
> I'm also suffering this problem. It only appears for me when I run my
> problem in AMR. That is, it doesn't happen if I have nrefs=100000. Josh, do
> you know if that is also the case for you?
>
> Klaus, thanks for the explanation I will look for Timers_start/stop pairs
> to see if that is the issue.
>
> Best,
> --------
> Ryan
>
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 2:44 PM, Klaus Weide <klaus at flash.uchicago.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 11 Sep 2018, Joshua Wall wrote:
>>
>> > Hello FLASH users,
>> >
>> > I'm attempting to track down a strange occurrence in one of my runs
>> (using
>> > FLASH 4.2.2), where I get the following error related to timing of the
>> > multigrid solver:
>> >
>> >     6043  perfmon: ran out of space for timer, "gr_hgBndry", cannot time
>> > this timer with perfmon
>> >     6044  perfmon: ran out of space for timer, "work copy", cannot time
>> > this timer with perfmon
>> >     6045  perfmon: ran out of space for timer, "gr_hgGuardCell", cannot
>> > time this timer with perfmon
>>
>> This could happen if Timers_start / Timers_stop call pairs are incomplete,
>> or not properly nested.
>>
>> It is possible that the offending unbalanced code is not in the multigrid
>> solver at all, but in an entirely different part of the code - the error
>> could just happen to cause an overflow of the Timers stack there first.
>>
>> Klaus
>>

> --
Joshua Wall
Doctoral Candidate