[FLASH-USERS] missing neighbor error

Klaus Weide klaus at flash.uchicago.edu
Tue Apr 2 13:30:12 EDT 2019

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019, 杨云鹏 wrote:

> Hello, everyone. I encountered an error in a test run. The program aborted.

> I'm using FLASH4.5.

It would be great if you could test whether this problem also occurs
with FLASH 4.6!

You attempted to send a plot file to the mailing list, which got rejected
because of its size. That is intentional, because we don't want to force
the large files on the more than 1000 subscribers of the list!

However, some additional information would be useful to analyze your
problem:

 * On how many MPI ranks (procs) were you running?
   - Does the problem depend on the number of procs?
 * The *beginning* of the log file for the run.
   If possible, at least from the last

       FLASH log file:  ...    Run number: ...

   line up to, at least, the list of included code units;
   better, including the listing of runtime parameters and
   the first few time steps (say, up to "step: n=5").

One remark - your blocks size of 128 x 128 cells is rather large; I would
consider everything above 32 x 32 unusually large (at least for block-based
AMR, and in particular with PARAMESH). While FLASH + PARAMESH _should_
work correctly under these conditions (as long as you have enough memory),
the failure may have something to do with it.

Second remark - you wrote that your setup line is

 ./setup RayleighTaylor -auto +hdf5typeio-2d +spherical -maxblocks=80 -nxb=128 -nyb=128 -parfile=flash.par +splitHydro

This looks suspicious (apart from a missing space before '-2d'): Do you
really want to run in 2D spherical geometry? What is the value of the
"geometry" runtime parameter in flash.par?