[FLASH-USERS] missing neighbor error

Klaus Weide klaus at flash.uchicago.edu
Tue Apr 2 18:13:37 EDT 2019

Hello,

I received your plot file, even though it did not get distributed to the
mailing list. I am examining it to try to understand what has happened in
your run.  So far, it appears that PARAMESH has constructed an invalid
mesh configuration. This is a very unusual error.

Could you send to me (not to the mailing list) a plot file from a time
step right before the last refinement change (which created the invalid
configuration)? I am really only interested in the grid metainformation,
not the values of the UNK variables, so you could reduce the plot_var_N
runtime parameters to save space. You would probably have to modify a
plotFileIntervalStep or plotFileIntervalTime runtime parameter to
generated this plot file. The file should be written before the 'step:
n=20706' line in the log file. It does not matter whether it is exactly
from the preceding step, but there should be only one grid refinement
change between that file and the point when the error occurs.

With such a plot file, I may be able to better understand how PARAMESH
can transition from such a (presumably valid) mesh configuration to an
invalid one. Your help would be appreciated!