[FLASH-USERS] Unit test 2 for Chombo error

Marissa Adams madams at pas.rochester.edu
Thu Jun 20 12:33:50 EDT 2019

Nick, is chombo truly necessary for your needs? I am curious!

I would recommend that if you're interested in using an MHD AMR code that utilizes chombo to try AstroBEAR (https://astrobear.pas.rochester.edu/trac/). There are probably others... but aside from FLASH, this is a code I know. Perhaps others can recommend too.

Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with chombo tbh unless you want to make all the changes Klaus is suggesting.

---
Marissa Adams
PhD Student
Website: http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~madams<http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~madams/>
University of Rochester
Department of Physics & Astronomy
371 Bausch & Lomb Hall

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 10:55 AM Klaus Weide <klaus at flash.uchicago.edu<mailto:klaus at flash.uchicago.edu>> wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jun 2019, Nicholas Omahen wrote:

> I'm attempting to use version 3.1 of Chombo with  FLASH version 4.5. I have
> successfully installed Chombo and ran their test routines. Unit test 1 for
> Chombo in FLASH succeeds, and I've made a "Makefile.h.chombo" as described
> by the FLASH 4.5 user manual.

WARNING: The Flash Center does not support using FLASH with Chombo, and
the "experimental" Grid implementation based on Chombo has not evolved for
a number of years. So proceed at your own risk.

>  When I attempt to run "make all" in unit test
> 2 (FLASH4.5/source/Grid/GridMain/Chombo/wrapper/unit_tests/2), I receive
> the error:
>
> "
> flash_subroutines.o: In function `driver_init_flash_':
> /groups/dark/nomahen/FLASH4.5/source/Grid/GridMain/Chombo/wrapper/unit_tests/2/flash_subroutines.F90:86:
> undefined reference to `grid_getblkindexlimits_'

I believe the specific problem here is that Grid_getBlkIndexLimits.F90 has
changed at some point, and does now work any more with the files under
GridMain/Chombo/wrapper/unit_tests/2 as they are.

In particular, for some reason not to be elaborated here,
Grid_getBlkIndexLimits has become its own little Fortran module.
Essentially the lines

  module Grid_getBlkIndexLimits_mod
  contains

and

  end module

were added.

IF that is the only change relevant (I haven't checked), then you should
be able to make progress by just changing the way in which the code
under GridMain/Chombo/wrapper/unit_tests/2 refers to the subroutine
Grid_getBlkIndexLimits.

A simple way to do this would consist of replacing the explicit interface
declaration for Grid_getBlkIndexLimits in flash_interfaces.F90
with a line (in an appropriated place):

  use Grid_getBlkIndexLimits_mod, ONLY: Grid_getBlkIndexLimits

(Cf. the regular Grid/Grid_interface.F90, which does the same thing)

You may need additional changes, such as for making the Makefile aware
of the .mod file that may now need to be considered in the source
dependencies.