[FLASH-USERS] How to describe vacuum in cfd simulation?

Ryan Farber rjfarber at umich.edu
Fri May 10 14:44:30 EDT 2019

Hi Sang Yun,

As far as I'm aware, the typical way to represent a vacuum in fluid
simulations is with a very small density (effective vacuum) since absolute
zero density is problematic regarding stability (as you've noticed).

Perhaps another method would involve being creative with a user defined
boundaries. That is, setting BDRY_VAR = 1 in regions where the vacuum is
supposed to be. It might be okay to set density to zero there if the fluid
solver skips boundary values. This might be okay if you're simulating water
in a lake and you want the air to be a vacuum and you're ignoring
evaporation of water. However, in most cases what I've described isn't
suitable. For example, if you're modeling a supernova exploding into the
interstellar medium, then you'd want the initially "vacuum" values to
receive gas from the supernova. However, in this case, there isn't a true
vacuum to begin with since the interstellar medium does have particles in
it.

Best,
--------
Ryan