[FLASH-USERS] Does FLASH simulate solids?

Scott Feister sfeister at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 19:37:01 EST 2019

Hi Nitish,

You're modeling your Aluminum sphere as a solid density, gaseous fluid.
There are no additional physics built into FLASH related to the
low-temperature covalent bonds, etc. that hold together a liquid or a solid
-- it might be worth considering adding those physics in the future! For
now, one trick that we do when handling room-temperature solids is to
numerically "freeze" the cells in place until they heat to a certain
temperature. If you're interested in that, it's is something that can be
done by declaring the BDRY variable in your Config file, and then writing a
script to dynamically set and unset the BDRY variable (between 0 and 1) in
Simulation_adjustEvolution.F90.

Scott

Scott Feister
Assistant Professor, Computer Science
California State University Channel Islands