[FLASH-USERS] questions about boundary conditions

Eddie Hansen ehansen at flash.uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 29 16:41:21 EDT 2019

In general, here is how periodic boundaries work...

Just consider the x-direction and say you are using xl_boundary_type =
"periodic" and xr_boundary_type = "periodic". Let's number the cells
starting at n and going up to m, so we have n, n+1, n+2, ... , m-1, m. The
"guard cells" are those cells outside the domain to the left of n and to
the right of m. With periodic conditions, the values of guard cell n-1 are
set to the values of the interior cell m. Likewise, values of guard cell
m+1 are set to values of interior cell n. Depending on the solver order,
more guard cells will be filled accordingly. For example, the values of
guard cell n-2 are set to values of interior cell m-1, and so on.

This effectively makes any flux on the right boundary equal to the flux on
the left boundary. In other words, if material leaves the grid on the
right, it will enter on the left, and vice-versa. You can think of it as
"wrapping around".

Hopefully that answers your question about periodic boundary conditions. To
do something like keep a constant magnetic field value at a boundary, you
have to implement a user-defined boundary like Ryan mentioned.

--
Eddie Hansen, PhD
Postdoctoral Scholar