[FLASH-USERS] Reading HDF5 output from FLASH

Ji, Suoqing suoqing at caltech.edu
Mon Sep 2 20:12:13 EDT 2019

Hi Nitish,

Since you’re using Python, I highly recommend you to use yt for analyzing and visualizing FLASH dataset: https://yt-project.org

Best regards,
—
Suoqing Ji
Sherman Fairchild Fellow
TAPIR & Walter Burke Institute for Theoretical Physics
California Institute of Technology
http://www.tapir.caltech.edu/~suoqing

On Sep 2, 2019, at 4:04 PM, Acharya, Nitish <nachary2 at ur.rochester.edu<mailto:nachary2 at ur.rochester.edu>> wrote:

Hello flash users,

I'd like to do a bit of post processing of FLASH HDF5 output using Python. It's a 2D cylindrical LaserSlab Simulation data. I've managed to read the HDF5 file and it's datasets in Python and am trying to do the mesh reconstruction.

1) It seems like I can retrieve the data of variables at each cell centers but HDF5 seems to provide only the coordinates of the block centers and not the cells centers.

2) I'm using AMR Grid with Paramesh. If problem 1 is solved, what could be the best approach to smoothly interpolate the data from such non-uniform grids to an equally spaced uniform 2D grid generated in Python (I guess I wont be able to use a bilinear interpolation unless it's an uniform grid in FLASH)?

Thanks,
Nitish

Nitish Acharya
PhD Student