[FLASH-USERS] How to force the velocity to be zero in simulation

Zhang Daoyuan zdy0903 at stu.xjtu.edu.cn
Wed Sep 4 05:08:23 EDT 2019

Hi all!

  For a lot of simulations, if I want to initialize it from room temperature (300K) like LaserSlab, I find that there is thermal expansion at the interface between the solid slab and low density gas at room temperature. This is beacause the material strengh is not taken into account in the simulation so that the pressure for solid slab at 300K is very high. This is not physical in reality.

  It can be shown on the picture below, this is density and velocity at y direction distribution for LaserSlab simulation at 1e-11 s.

  To solve this problem, an idea is that keep the solid at stationary till the melting or boilding point. I need to force the velocity to be zero in the simulation. In FLASH, how can I do that?

  This is important to my simulation because my simulation is about Z pinch which use a current to heat solid. Before the solid reach to the melting teperature, the current will heat the unphysical thermal expanded materials to very high temperature.

  Thanks a lot!

Yours

Zhang