[FLASH-USERS] too many refinement iterations

Marissa Adams madams at pas.rochester.edu
Mon Sep 23 11:02:26 EDT 2019

Hi Jonathan,

I've encountered something quite similar earlier this past summer. When I ran with AMR on a supercomputer, it would refine all the way, then crash via segfault. I then tried running the same executable under gdb, and it ran just fine. However, while running, it wouldn't even register the refinement! And just pushed through the time step where it refined/crashed as if it were a pseudo-fixed grid. It would do this, even when I asked for only one level of refinement, or two. I am wondering if you can run yours under gdb and see if it does something similar? Then perhaps we know we are dealing with the same "heisenbug" I've encountered.

After moving back to my local machine to debug further, I sorted through some uninitialized variables that may have been eating at the memory and causing that sort of crash. I added debug -O0 and additional -W flags to make sure it crashed appropriataely for me to sort through the weeds. It was a process.... but perhaps list what units you're using and I can tell you if I have any cross over, and what variables I initialized that seemed to fix the problem.

Best,
Marissa