[FLASH-USERS] Target expansion, adjustEvolution.F90 for bdry_var

Klaus Weide klaus at flash.uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 30 12:22:24 EDT 2020

On Thu, 30 Apr 2020, Aodhan McIlvenny wrote:

> http://flash.uchicago.edu/pipermail/flash-users/2019-April/002869.html
>
> http://flash.uchicago.edu/pipermail/flash-users/2014-March/001427.html
>
> So i get a significant uniform expansion of the target over a few ns which is
> quite unphysical. As mentioned in these replies, a workaround is to set the
> BDRY_VAR to 1 inside the solid and only set it to -1 when the temperature
> inside the cell is greater than some threshold. I have initialised the solid
> as such however I am not sure how to call this information in the
> adjustEvolution.F90 function to first test the cell temperature and then
> changing the BDRY to -1 as appropriate.

Thank you for first checking the archives!

The code for doing what you want could be as simple as

     !  hardwired temperature threshold of 1000 K
     if (blkPtr(TEMP_VAR,i,j,k) > 1.e3) then
        blkPtr(BDRY_VAR,i,j,k) = -1.0
     end if

in Simulation_adjustEvolution.F90 in your simulation directory under
.../SimulationMain.

If you don't know what to put around those lines, look at other instances
of Simulation_adjustEvolution.F90 in various simulation directories.
If you can't find something more suitable,
  Simulation/SimulationMain/SodSpherical/Simulation_adjustEvolution.F90
may be a good starting point (still more complicated than you need for
your purpose, you'll have to delete stuff).