[FLASH-USERS] Material EOS

richardcollins richardcollins at theinternetfoundation.org
Wed Jul 8 13:53:19 EDT 2020

Nick,

I am new to this group, and this is my first post.  I do not have a lot of time to backtrack every posting to see the context.  And I have not been around for years to absorb that by bumping into all the pieces.   So, while I might be able to make suggestions, I simply do not have a clear model of "our experimental results" and your experiment as a whole.

For the Internet Foundation, I track all users of the Internet. With particular attention to global communities larger than a million members. But I study small groups to see what tools they are using for collaboration, sharing, and effective group efforts.

Almost none of the things in this group are easily accessible to outsiders. Most of it, in common with all the groups I follow, is because the problems, like this one - are presented without sufficient context and resources (links and online data and tools) to immediately see what is going on.

Now if you are happy with solving problems over months years and decades, what you are doing is fine.  Everyone is happy to take weeks to talk about an ambiguity or inconsistency or error.  But true, high speed "lets get this done now!" is hampered by little things.  Give me a link to the information I need to review your problem --- right here -- in the message. Don't make me search.

My bias is Covid-19.  I am working on those global communities to get them resolving ambiguities and opportunities in hours, not weeks.  It is going to take two orders of magnitude speedup, or it is though no one did anything at all to help.  Too late.

You are asking a critical and important question here.  If that large a discrepancy is real, and not some "How do I get this stupid program set up properly" thing, then some core assumptions in these programs in wrong.

Pardon me for interrupting.  I would like to see what you are trying to do. Are all the people in this group sharing data and experimental models in real time online?  From this way of talking to each other, I suspect not.  Or maybe everyone knows everyone and everything already.  :)

Thank you,
Richard Collins, Director, The Internet Foundation