[FLASH-USERS] How can I modify the LaserSlab example to calculate B fields?

Marissa B. P. Adams marissa at flash.uchicago.edu
Wed May 27 14:34:51 EDT 2020

Hi Anthony,

******First: Did you make a copy of the LaserSlab problem in magnetoHD ? See section 34.2 in the user manual for examples. Try that again but then do effectively the same setup script you did:

./setup -auto magnetoHD/LaserSlab -2d +cylindrical -nxb=16 -nyb=16 +hdf5typeio species=cham,targ +mtmmmt +laser +mgd +usm3t mgd_meshgroups=6 -parfile=example.par

> On May 27, 2020, at 14:07, Anthony Raymond <raymonda at fusion.gat.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> Thank you in advance for the help!
>
> I am simply running the LaserSlab and want to keep track of the Biermann battery magnetic field induced by the laser-plasma interaction.
>
> Taking the advice in the manual, I added the following lines to the top of my example.par script:
>
> hy_useBiermann = .true.
> hy_biermannSource = .true.
> conserveAngField =.true.
> shockDetect = .true.
>
> and added +usm3t to the setup script (removing +uhd3t):
>
> ./setup -auto LaserSlab -2d +cylindrical -nxb=16 -nyb=16 +hdf5typeio species=cham,targ +mtmmmt +laser +mgd +usm3t mgd_meshgroups=6 -parfile=example.par
>
> At the bottom of the example.par file, I need to somehow tell FLASH to output the magnetic field components. From the manual, it seems like this should be done by adding:
>

> plot_var_10          = "grbx"
> plot_var_11          = "grby"
> plot_var_12          = "grbz"

Continuing for purposes of caution for you…. I think this is true if you’re using the hybrid solver for a combo with PIC usage. Re: section 20.1.2.3. Is that what you want to use?

I would recommend trying:

plot_var_10 	= “magx”
plot_var_11	= “magy”
plot_var_12	= “magz”

instead if using the hybrid version of the code isn’t your original intent right now. You’ll probably want to assign those gr* variables in the Config file, as well as learn how to use that component of the code/learn what limitations it may have. I’ve never tried to use the hybrid stuff, so someone else may wanna chime in.

You can also try looking at the “*chk*” or checkpoint files. They store all of the UNK in there. They’re very large files though, so it is often suggested to not print so many. That means that both mag* and gr* should be stored in there (gr* only if associated hybrid units/modules are also used).

> I let the simulation run, and am trying to find the magnetic field data in the resulting hdf5 outputs. However, they don't appear to be in there. If I run in h5info(filename) in matlab, I find the datasets for density, temperature, etc., but no magnetic field info.
>
> Could someone please suggest what I might be doing incorrectly?
>
> I've attached the par file that I used to this email.

Correct me if I am wrong but from the looks of your example.par you may not printing any checkpoint files (sorry it is very hot and I don’t have AC so my brain is fried, almost literally).

.
.
.
### Checkpoint Options  ###
checkpointFileIntervalTime = 1.0
checkpointFileIntervalStep = 1000

### Plot Options ###
plotFileNumber       = 0
plotFileIntervalStep = 100
plotFileIntervalTime = 0.01e-09
.
.
.
tmax           = 2.0e-09

How many time steps did the simulation take? Did it make it to a checkpoint? You can look at the UNK variables that are being used using h5ls or VisIt.

> Thanks and all the best,
> Tony
> <example.par>

With washed hands,