[FLASH-USERS] Planetary impact with moving solid projectile

Ryan Farber rjfarber at umich.edu
Mon Apr 12 15:10:05 EDT 2021

Hi Andrea,

That's an interesting problem you'd like to simulate! Regarding the error
you're receiving, I usually see that happens when the timestep (dt) drops
below 1e-10. In my case, usually a velocity gets too large. However, in
your case it's interesting the error occurs immediately after mesh
refinement (so possibly dx becomes quite small which also influences the
CFL constraint).

Does that error occur even if you turn off AMR? (That is, set lrefine_min =
lrefine_max = constant OR set nrefs = large).

Back to what you're trying to simulate, I'd think you'd want to use
BDRY_VAR to simulate solids in FLASH. However, in that case you're not
actually simulating the evolution of the internal structure of the solid
material (instead, it applies boundary conditions).

Anyway, I think FLASH might be suitable for your problem since it sounds
somewhat analogous to Mullen & Gammie 2020's work on the giant impact
formation of the Moon, which uses Athena++ (and FLASH is a similar code).

Good luck!
--------
Ryan