[FLASH-USERS] EOS at low temperatures

Landon Morrison landon01 at nevada.unr.edu
Wed Aug 18 14:20:59 EDT 2021

Hello,
I am trying to run a 3T, MGD simulation with PROPACEOS files for the
EoS. The simulation runs well when the target material is set at a high
temperature in the .par file. However, at around  5000 K and below, the
target materials (Cu and CH) behave erratically. As in the electron
temperature of the material will jump up to around 5000K in the first time
step. The simulation outputs this error:
[RadTrans] ***** ERROR DETECTED IN Diffuse_solveScalar *****
-1              1               3               1               1
 [gr_hypreSolve]: NonConv./failure ierr=1, descr=[Generic Error], group num
= 1, converged=F, |initial RHS I^2=NaN, num_iterations=0,
final_res_norm=0.0000000000000000
[RadTrans] ***** ERROR DETECTED IN Diffuse_solveScalar *****
-1              2               3               1               1
 [gr_hypreSolve]: NonConv./failure ierr=1, descr=[Generic Error], group num
= 2, converged=F, |initial RHS I^2=NaN, num_iterations=0,
final_res_norm=0.0000000000000000
[RadTrans] ***** ERROR DETECTED IN Diffuse_solveScalar *****
-1              3               3               1               1
 [gr_hypreSolve]: NonConv./failure ierr=1, descr=[Generic Error], group num
= 3, converged=F, |initial RHS I^2=NaN, num_iterations=0,
final_res_norm=0.0000000000000000
[RadTrans] ***** ERROR DETECTED IN Diffuse_solveScalar *****
-1              4               3               1               1
 [gr_hypreSolve]: NonConv./failure ierr=1, descr=[Generic Error], group num
= 4, converged=F, |initial RHS I^2=NaN, num_iterations=0,
final_res_norm=0.0000000000000000

and so on, cycling through all the radiation groups. Note that this problem
does not occur for the Helium chamber material, which was made in the same
manner and format in PROPACEOS. Any advice on where this error could be
originating from would be helpful.
Thanks in advance,

Landon Morrison