[FLASH-USERS] Biermann Battery in 2D and 3D geometry

Benjamin Spiers benjamin.spiers at physics.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 14 11:02:06 EST 2021

Dear FLASH users, developers,

The issue Xavier reports resembles one I’ve noticed recently, and have been trying to track down. It seems to be caused by the fact that the Biermann source term implementation updates the cell-centred magx/y/z variables but not the face-centred magnetic fields. Assuming I’m understanding how the code treats MHD correctly, the main loop of the simulation does something which approximates

  1.  Solve MHD equations (updates face-centred B fields in divergence-free way)
  2.  Set cell-centred mag variables by averaging face-centred quantities to cell centres
  3.  Update mag variables using Biermann source
  4.  Output plot files etc.

I think what happens is that step 2. overrides the effect of step 3 on the previous loop iteration (which doesn’t happen in 2D because step 2 doesn’t touch magz in two dimensions, presumably because there aren’t really meaningful z-‘faces’ in x-y geometry). I guess the fix is to update the face vars in the 3D source term implementation, but that would presumably need some caution to make sure the divergence-free constraint is still obeyed.

The upshot of all this is that the magnetic field values seen in the plot files are presumably just dB/dt multiplied by a single time-step rather than the actual B values generated over multiple time steps.

Best wishes, and I hope this helps to fix the issue,

Ben