[FLASH-USERS] [EXT] Biermann Battery in 2D and 3D geometry

Eddie Hansen ehansen at pas.rochester.edu
Mon Jan 18 16:15:35 EST 2021

Dear Xavier,

Thank you for your note and questions. This response should help answer
your questions:

1. It is correct that the signs are opposite. In 2D Cartesian, the positive
z-axis points *out of* the page. In 2D cylindrical (assuming for radius,
xmax > xmin), the positive phi axis points *into* the page. This preserves
right-handedness of the coordinate system. So if the domain is set up the
same way and is supposed to, for example, generate a B-field pointing out
of the page, then the two geometries will have opposite signs for MAGZ.

2. About flux-based Biermann vs. biermannSource: The biermannSource
implementation was originally intended for 2D cylindrical problems, since
the phi-generated Biermann field is cell-centered only and does not enter
in the staggered magnetic fields used in the USM solver to maintain
solenoidality. In most cases (especially in 3D cartesian), the flux-based
Biermann3T implementation is preferred because it preserves div(B) = 0 by
modifying the Godunov fluxes used in the E-field calculation. In the next
release we will include (at least) a warning message to discourage users
from using biermannSource for 3D problems.

--
Eddie Hansen, PhD
Postdoctoral Associate