[FLASH-USERS] [EXT] pulsed-electrical discharge in FLASH?

Marissa B. P. Adams madams at pas.rochester.edu
Wed Jul 7 17:41:38 EDT 2021

Dear Frank,

Are you aiming to simulate dense plasma focus or some sort of arching
experiment? AFAIK this has not been done.

On a related note: I've been implementing the Z-pinch capabilities within
FLASH for some time now (amongst other projects -- it is currently on the
backburner, sorry ya'll, I gotta graduate). It is a difficult problem with
a surprisingly large amount of layers of complexity (solving this problem
from the Eulerian perspective, as is done in FLASH).

In my opinion it would require some extreme heavy lifting: experience
developing, using, and interpreting results from FLASH to implement a DPF
module if it would be at all comparable to the work I've been doing (as
arguably you can consider DPF a Z-pinch, but numerically, I am unsure of
how other codes do DPF). I'd advise finding a different code to use to do
DPF for now, although I think DPF is on a to-do list somewhere on the
powers-that-be's desk :)

Best,
Marissa