[FLASH-USERS] shock waves in water

Matthias Broenner mbroenner at ikp.tu-darmstadt.de
Sun Jul 3 11:20:19 EDT 2022

Dear Dr Maksim Kozlov,

1) You can define additional species in the FLASH code and give them
different Equations of State and starting conditions.

You need to define a new species in the config file of your simulation
and write a custom Simulation_initBlock, to define the placement of the
species.

2) The imaginary sound speed problem stems from an area in the lower
temperature part of the equation of state, where the pressure drops with
rising density.

As far as I know it is only a problem below 600 K.

So you have two options for this: Either you modify the equation of
state table with some kind of Maxwell construction an ensure that with
rising density the pressure also rises, or you can give your simulation
a smallt>600.0 (You can just use this in the flash.par file).

This could remedy this problem.

3) I am speculating here, but maybe you could define a custom variable
in your cells that rises sharply around the axis and add this variable
to the refine_var_#.

I hope that helps.

All the best,

Matthias Brönner