[FLASH-USERS] Laser intensity (in W/cm^2) in laserslab problems

Scott Feister sfeister at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 12:12:10 EDT 2022

Hi Zhao,

My understanding is that both "depo" and "lase" are in units of energy per
volume. So for FLASH default units, I believe that that would be in ergs /
cm^3. I'm not 100% sure about those units, though!

As far as the physical meaning of each of these:

1. Think of "depo" as the total laser energy being *deposited *into a
volume, during that one timestep.
2. Think of "lase" (available in 3D only, see user guide for how to
configure) as the total laser energy *existing *(via the rays) in that same
volume, even if none of it is being deposited. (See user guide Section
17.4.3, Laser Energy Density.)

Both "lase" and "depo" values represent *energy volumetric density *rather
than *power per area*. So, you'll need to do some conversions to get to
intensity.

To get laser intensity from "lase", I believe you would need to multiply by
the velocity that the energy is moving, which is the speed of light (c).
Double check my logic, though!

Scott