[FLASH-USERS] Laser Slab: User-defined Plot Vars

Ryan Farber rjfarber at umich.edu
Thu Apr 20 04:27:50 EDT 2023

Hi Kemal,

While you definitely can introduce user defined variables* you can also
define "derived_fields" in yt (https://yt-project.org/; and I'd guess
something similar is possible in Visit) that allow you to do this purely in
post-processing. The benefit of doing so in post-processing is you'll save
some memory compared to introducing additional variables**

*To introduce your own variable, put a "VARIABLE varr" in your Config. Note
that FLASH variables are conventionally four characters. You can then
update it sometime after you update "dens" and "tele" before outputting.

**Also note I believe all variables saved in plot files are also saved in
checkpoint files and plot files; it would be an interesting feature if some
variables could be excluded from checkpoints though, as outputting
checkpoint files becomes quite expensive in my high resolution simulations,
and some of the fields I've introduced don't need to persist their values
across restarts.

Best,
--------
Ryan