[FLASH-USERS] Angular laser incidence in 3D laser-slab example

Rodger, Izzy rodger1 at llnl.gov
Wed Aug 23 15:02:50 EDT 2023

Good afternoon everybody!

I hope that this message finds you well.

Currently, I am trying to change the angle of incidence of the laser beam in the 3D laser-slab example. How I've done this so far is by changing the position of the lens (the source of the laser rays) relative to the spot I want to focus on (the target of the laser rays). Looking at the rays from the checkpoint file, the angle seems alright - however, with the focal spot itself I'm seeing a hemi-circle instead of the ellipse which I would expect. I've tried changing the torsion angle of the target around the z axis but have not observed this to have much effect, and it works well for normal incidence.

One way I can think of getting around this is by changing the semi-major axis of the laser and target spot to what would be the correct ellipse for that angle, and then just doing normal incidence.

Does anyone know how I could do angular laser incidence without cheating it like this though?

Kind regards, and I'm grateful for any advice you can give,
Izzy Rodger