[FLASH-USERS] Simulating Low Density Gases in FLASH

Hansen, Eddie ehansen at pas.rochester.edu
Fri Nov 10 08:28:21 EST 2023

Hi Conor,

The density that one uses for “vacuum” in a FLASH simulation is somewhat subjective and problem-specific. The code will always treat this region like a fluid, when in reality, it is empty or at the very least a region of low-density kinetic particles (ie, not a fluid). To approximate a vacuum, you just want the density to be low enough to not affect the dynamics or physics you are interested in.

To simulate a region that is purposely low-density but not approximating a vacuum, what you are doing sounds like a good approach. If the region is still collisional, then FLASH should be able to model it well, and the EOS is often the crucial piece. Even if the region is not quite collisional, FLASH might give decent results. Try calculating the mean free path, collision time, etc. to determine how fluid-like your low-density region is.

--
Eddie Hansen
Applications Group Leader