[FLASH-USERS] output files: Getting started guide?

Leland Ellison lee at pacificfusion.energy
Fri Oct 6 14:05:51 EDT 2023

In lieu of a documentation referral, here's a minimal snippet that uses yt
to populate a dictionary with specified fields from a plt file. It makes
use of covering_grid which is helpful for AMR problems.

Apologies to the yt community for willfully ignoring all sorts of nice
built-in features for making these sorts of plots.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

import yt
import matplotlib.pyplot  as plt

def get_yt_data_1d(filename):

    j_idx = 0
    k_idx = 0
    fields_list = ["r", "z", "dens", "pres", "temp"]

    data_yt = yt.load(filename)
    data_yt_map = data_yt.covering_grid(
        level=0, left_edge=[0, 0.0, 0.0], dims=data_yt.domain_dimensions
    )

    data_dict = {}
    for f in fields_list:
        data_dict[f] = data_yt_map[f][:,j_idx,k_idx]
    return data_dict

filename = 'flash_hdf5_plt_cnt_0001'

data_dict = get_yt_data_1d(filename)

plt.figure()

plt.plot(data_dict["r"], data_dict["dens"])
plt.xlabel('radius [cm]')
plt.ylabel('dens [g/cm^3]')
plt.tight_layout()
plt.show()