[FLASH-USERS] Stability and timestep issues with 3D Biermann3T Laserslab simulations

Reyes, Adam adam.reyes at rochester.edu
Mon Apr 15 14:46:47 EDT 2024

Hi Tim,

The time step limitation and subsequently the numerical instability I suspect is due to the requirement of the biermann3T (required for 3D cartesian) switch to also include the hall MHD term. The reasoning is explained a bit in the user guide here <https://flash.rochester.edu/site/flashcode/user_support/flash4_ug_4p7/node103.html#SECTION06235200000000000000>. The gist is that the flux-formulation of the biermann electric field results in a Poynting flux that can advect magnetic energy, that implies some electron enthalpy transport with velocity u_e = (u - J/en_e), hence the hall term.

You might try relaxing this requirement in "source/physics/Hydro/HydroMain/unsplit/Hydro_init.F90” and allow “hy_usehall=.false.”, but I can’t speak to the physical consistency of such a choice.
Adam Reyes

Code Group Leader, Flash Center for Computational Science
Research Scientist, Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
University of Rochester
River Campus: Bausch and Lomb Hall, 369
500 Wilson Blvd. PO Box 270171, Rochester, NY 14627
Email adam.reyes at rochester.edu
Web https://flash.rochester.edu
 (he / him / his)