[FLASH-USERS] Question about star formation using FLASH

John ZuHone zuhone at flash.uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 31 16:22:27 EST 2008

Hello M.A.,

	Such capabilities are not currently in FLASH2 and they will not be in
the first release of FLASH3, though they *may* be in future releases.
Others have managed to get this working for their own use.

	Strictly speaking one would not be converting gas particles (since
we're working with Eulerian grid variables) but would be creating
massive star particles from scratch at a particular grid location once
conditions were met at that location (say, density rises to a certain
value and temperature falls below a certain value). Then the star
particle would be taking its velocity as well from the local velocity
on the grid.

	In essence, this is not currently implemented but once one had a
prescription for this it should not be difficult to implement.

Best,

John Z