[FLASH-USERS] VisIt - New submenus for flash data

Randy Hudson hudson at mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 7 11:09:06 EDT 2008

Seyit,

On May 6, 2008, at 10:40 AM, Seyit Hocuk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know if anyone else has this, but VisIt 1.9.0 shows my
> pseudocolor plots completely black. Basically the color profile
> "Hot" is not working in my case. Even when I try to select "Hot"
> from colors, VisIt directly crashes. Whenever I change to a
> different color profile, then it works. Except that there are few
> random colored blocks showing here and there, also odd.

Can you send me some images?

> Btw, there is another thing unmentioned I think. Starting VisIt for
> FLASH now needs the command "-assume_format FLASH" instead of "-
> default_format FLASH". "-fallback_format FLASH" also works, but
> slower.

The release notes describe this a bit.  The fallback format is tried
AFTER all others; the assumed format is tried BEFORE all others.

> Greetz,
> Seyit
>
> ps: I don't see any difference between "mesh_blockandlevel" and
> "mesh_blockandproc" plots.

There won't be if you visualize all the data.  But, the former allows
you to create subsets by refinement level and the latter by processor
number.  (With both, you can create subsets by block.)

>> Concerning VisIt:
>>
>> I don't remember if I already announced this, but, with the latest
>> version of the flash plugin, the variable names for flash data
>> appear under new, intervening submenus "mesh_blockandlevel" and
>> "mesh_blockandproc".
>>
>> I needed to add these when, to the original subsetting by blocks
>> and refinement levels, I added subsetting by blocks and processor
>> numbers.  I needed to define block-level and block-proc subsetting
>> pairs, and, to make these both available, I needed the new submenus.
>>
>> I also had added the visualization of the Morton curve, and that's
>> subset-able both ways as well.
>>

>> Randy.

Randy.