[FLASH-USERS] Help with 'out of the box' simulations

Kunal Rao kunalgrao at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 19:38:24 EDT 2010

 Hello

  I am trying to execute all the 'out of the box' simulations and unit Tests
from the Simulation folder in FLASH 3.2. I am able to successfully run all
of them except 4
  simulations and 4 unit Tests. ( I am executing with 2 processes in each
case using $mpiexec -np 2 ./flash3 )

  I am listing those simulations and unit tests below..I need your patience
here..Kindly go through them one by one and let me know how should I do the
setup and
  how should I set the runtime parameters for each of them so as to execute
these 4 simulations and 4 unit Tests successfully.

 ( If you have some sample setup options and runtime parameters that work,
kindly let me know, I would be happy to execute and check those for these
simulations/unitTests )

 1) unitTest/HelmHoltz

   $ ./setup unitTest/Eos/HelmHoltz -auto -3d -ostype=Linux -makefile=pg
-portable +ug +serialIO

   Error:
   ( added iProcs = 2, jProcs = 1, kProcs = 1 in flash.par file )
   ----------------------------------
   Error message is [Eos] Error: too many iterations in Helmholtz Eos
   Calling MPI_Abort() for shutdown in   2 seconds!
   ---------------------------------

 2) unitTest/Gravity/Poisson2

   $ ./setup unitTest/Gravity/poisson2 -auto +spherical -makefile=pg
-ostype=Linux -portable +parallelio

   Error:
    ( changed geometry = "spherical" in flash.par file )
   -----------------------------
     Error message is ERROR: radial coordinate cannot be < 0.0
     Calling MPI_Abort() for immediate shutdown!
   -----------------------------

  3) unitTest/Grid/UGReordered

    $ ./setup unitTest/Grid/UGReordered -auto -makefile=pg -ostype=Linux
-portable +ug +parallelio

    Error ( during $make ) :
    ---------------------------
      PGF90-S-0084-Illegal use of symbol scratch - not public entity of
module (gr_createDomain.F90: 46)
      0 inform,   0 warnings,   1 severes, 0 fatal for gr_createdomain
      make: *** [gr_createDomain.o] Error 2
    --------------------------

  4) unitTest/PFFT_PoissonFD

     $ ./setup unitTest/PFFT_PoissonFD -auto -makefile=pg -ostype=Linux
-portable +parallelio

     Error:
     -----------------------
       DRIVER_ABORT: io_writeData: localNumBlocks == 0

       job aborted:
       [ranks] message

       [0] terminated

       [1] application aborted
       aborting MPI_COMM_WORLD, error 1, comm rank 1
    -----------------------

  5) SodSpherical

      $ ./setup SodSpherical -auto -2d +spherical -makefile=pg -ostype=Linux
-portable +parallelio

      Error:
      ---------------------
        amr_block_geometry ERROR : blk             1            1  not found
on pe
            0  strt_buffer:last_buffer         10001        10000  laddress

       job aborted:
       [ranks] message

       [0] application aborted
       aborting MPI_COMM_WORLD, error 1242328, comm rank 0

       [1] terminated
      --------------------

  6) SBlast

      $ ./setup SBlast -auto -makefile=pg -ostype=Linux -portable
+parallelio

      Error:
      --------------------
         Logfile_create:  could not create log file

         Driver_abort called. See log file for details.
         Error message is Logfile_create : could not create logfile
         Calling MPI_Abort() for immediate shutdown!

         Logfile_open:  Error: cannot open log file; io_status =
2
         Logfile_open:  Error: cannot open log file; io_status =
2

         job aborted:
         [ranks] message

         [0] application aborted
         aborting MPI_COMM_WORLD, error 1, comm rank 0

         [1] terminated
      --------------------

    7) DustCollapse

        $ ./setup DustCollapse -auto +spherical -makefile=pg -ostype=Linux
-portable +parallelio

        Error:
            ( changed geometry = "spherical" in flash.par file )
        -------------------
           Error message is ERROR: reflecting boundary required at x = 0.0
for radial coords
           Calling MPI_Abort() for immediate shutdown!
        -------------------

    8) Orbit

        $ ./setup Orbit -auto +spherical -makefile=pg -ostype=Linux
-portable +parallelio

        Error:
            ( changed geometry = "spherical" in flash.par file )
        -------------------
          amr_block_geometry ERROR : blk             1            1  not
found on pe
          0  strt_buffer:last_buffer         10001        10000  laddress

          job aborted:
          [ranks] message

          [0] application aborted
          aborting MPI_COMM_WORLD, error 1242332, comm rank 0

          [1] terminated

     I know it is a very long email and might be asking too much..but I want
to make sure everything works.
     I would be very glad if you could help me with this.

Thanks & Regards,
Kunal