[FLASH-USERS] IO_write/readUserArray

Dean Townsley Dean.M.Townsley at ua.edu
Tue Mar 6 17:23:57 EST 2012

Hi Massimo,

I'm not sure if anyone has answered your question off-list...

I think that the short answer is that I don't think that those functions
are really intended for broad usage.  They were created for a specific
usage case and I think were never properly generalized, and I'm pretty
sure (someone at the flash center can confirm) they are not maintained
for general usage.

I have used the StirTurb setup on a fair number of processors
(hundreds), though not recently (pre flash-4), so they did work with
parallelio at some point.  But in my experience installations of
parallel hdf5 are very non-uniform and odd interactions with particular
usages in the code and any given installation are not uncommon.  So it
wouldn't be too surprising to me if it worked on one cluster and not
another.

My very vague recollection is that these functions are not cleanly
implemented to work in both serial and parallel hdf5, but I could be
wrong.  I just gave up and used parallelio.

I expect that nobody would mind if you wanted to tidy these up a bit.  :)

I'm not sure if that helps you, but at least it is some info.

Dean