[FLASH-USERS] Segmentation fault.

Sean Couch smc at flash.uchicago.edu
Sat Apr 27 08:37:46 EDT 2013

Hi Carolina,

SegFaults don't always mean you're running out of memory, just trying to access it incorrectly.  Fortunately they are usually easy to debug.  I'd suggest compiling FLASH in debug mode (by adding '-debug' to your setup line, assuming appropriate debug flags are set in the Makefile.h for your site).  If the compiler doesn't catch anything, running the debug-compiled code usually does.  You could also use a debugger such as gdb.  If that doesn't work, I recommend going with a software called valgrind.  It will find EVERY memory error in the code (there should be none...).  It may already be installed on the cluster you're using.

Best,
Sean

Sean M. Couch, Ph.D.
Hubble Fellow