[FLASH-USERS] Expansion of Target

Klaus Weide klaus at flash.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 26 12:14:29 EDT 2019

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019, Brian Kraus wrote:

>                   I am not sure if these shocks affect any dynamics
> from the laser, but it would be nice to properly model a solid that does
> not support these relaxation shocks.

FLASH currently does not track interfaces between materials explicitly,
and does not know about things such as surface tension or the properties
of solids such as pressure and tensile forces.  So an initial condition
with a strong pressure gradient somewhere - especially a jump such as
at a solid-gas boundary - will unavoidably lead to some motion.

A workaround that I have used is to "freeze" the solid material until it
is significantly heated. I don't mean by lowering the initial temperature
(although that might help, too), but by initially making the interface of
the solid material act like a domain boundary as far as hydrodynamics is
concerned. This can be done by using BDRY_VAR and setting it to +1 in the
solid. After heating (such as by a laser) has started, cells whose
temperature exceeds some threshold can be released by setting the BDRY_VAR
value to -1. This can be done every time step in
Simulation_adjustEvolution, for example.