[FLASH-USERS] Total energy and Laser Deposition

Klaus Weide klaus at flash.uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 5 18:23:05 EST 2019

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019, Acharya, Nitish wrote:

> Thanks Scott. I thought it was ergs/g as the energies in FLASH
> calculated seemed to be all specific energies. So, I did multiply the
> energies by mass. Also, since it was a 2D domain, multiplication by mass
> was infact mass per length. This is what I did. And I was wondering what
> length parameter should I use to get the total energy.

The integral quantities written to the flash.dat (or similar) file should
have totals of *energy* in the appropriate columns, at least in 3D
and in lower-D geometries when the "omitted directions" are angles not
lengths. So for 2D cylindrical geometry, they are energies (integration
over a full 2\pi range of azimuthal angle is implied).

The "power" specified for the Laser energy deposition should indeed be
a power (energy / time) also in the 2D cylindrical case, at least if
ed_laser3Din2D is used (not sure about when ed_laser3Din2D is false).
The "energies" in lasslab_LaserEnergyProfile.dat should then indeed
have units of energy, not energy per length.

You should NOT have to multiply by mass if you compare energies from
those two sources (flash.dat and _LaserEnergyProfile.dat files).
And I believe you should not have to multiply (or divide) by a length
either, under the mentioned conditions.