[FLASH-USERS] Gravity in StirFromFile Turbulence Simulation

Hansen, Eddie ehansen at pas.rochester.edu
Wed Jun 28 21:03:58 EDT 2023

Many units in FLASH get initialized but aren't necessarily being used.  In your object directory, you can check the file “setup_units” to see a list of units that the setup script has prepared for compiling. If you see a line that says “physics/Gravity” but no other lines with deeper directory names inside Gravity/ then the code is not actually using Gravity.

If the code was potentially using Gravity, you’d see a line like “physics/Gravity/GravityMain/Poisson” in the “setup_units” file. But if it just has “physics/Gravity”, that means the code is only compiling what we call the “stub implementation” of the Gravity unit. If you look at many of the Gravity_*.F90 files, you’ll see that they don’t actually do anything.

Eddie Hansen | Research Scientist
Flash Center for Computational Science
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
University of Rochester, Rochester, NY